Thursday, May 5, 2011

Recital Time!

I held my Spring studio recital this past Sunday afternoon, and I am so proud of all my students! 
I love doing recitals with them, but they are a little high stress.  This one was a little moreso.  As those of you that have been following me know, I recently left a teaching position, so I’ve been building my studio at the institute and at home.  As a result, many of my performers were beginners, performing for the first time.  I think it’s important for them to have a positive experience performing, especially the younger ones.  I get terrible stage fright, always have.  I worry that my students will be overwhelmed by it and not have fun.  There was a little stage fright, but everyone played really well in spite of it.
It also struck me once again, how difficult it is to just let them go.  It’s my job week after week to be not only the cheerleader of their successes, but also to evaluate their playing and critique and fix problems.  But at recital time, I’m in the audience.  I have to let them just do their own thing and sit back and enjoy, and do something else I find difficult – relax! 
Anyway, I’m glad it’s over and went well.  That doesn't mean we slow down....It's time for new music for everyone!  That's always fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment